“Justice for Justus”: The Lost and Forgotten Architecture of Portland’s Justus Krumbein
- $20.00 - General Public
- $12.00 - AHC Members
Justus Krumbein (1847 – 1907) is one of Oregon’s most notable 19th century architects. A German immigrant, Krumbein arrived in Portland in 1871 where he embarked on a three-decade career that included designs for the second State Capitol, St. Vincent's Hospital (pictured), and some of Portland’s most elaborate commercial and residential architecture.
Sadly, almost all of Krumbein’s work has been lost over the past century and even to this day. The State Capitol famously burned in 1935. Other buildings were demolished for redevelopment or parking lots, including the famous Kamm and Ladd Blocks, which are featured prominently in our current exhibit Parting Shots: Minor White’s Images of Portland, 1938 – 1942. One of Krumbein's longest-standing buildings, the 1892 Ancient Order of United Workmen Temple, was recently demolished.
Join us as AHC Education Manager and historian Val Ballestrem shares the story of Krumbein and his fantastic career, with the hope of creating renewed interest in this important architect and his buildings. This talk is an update of a program first presented in 2012 and includes the story of a never-built Krumbein masterpiece.
This lecture program is held at the Architectural Heritage Center - 701 SE Grand Avenue
Parking is on-street (free on Saturdays) or in the parking lot on the west side of Grand Avenue between SE Yamhill and Belmont Streets - just to the north of the Grand Marketplace. Do not use the lot where Dutch Bros. Coffee is located. Thank you to Bolliger and Sons Insurance for sharing their lot with us for our evening and Saturday education programs.
Image: St. Vincent's Hospital. Source: West Shore Magazine, November 1, 1890, AHC Library.
|Neon CRM by Neon One|